Housing Action Plan
Draft Plan for Public Review
The Housing Action Plan (HAP) is now available for public review. After months of background research, community outreach, and engagement with elected officials and other stakeholders, the project team has completed the draft HAP and the Planning Commission has made a recommendation on the Plan. The final draft plan is linked below, as well as a StoryMap that provides a high-level overview of the Plan.
The Planning Commission held a public hearing on June 30 and made a recommendation that the Housing Action Plan be forwarded to City Council for adoption. Your comments on the plan are still being accepted and will be provided to the City Council prior to their consideration.
- Review the StoryMap for an overview of the Housing Action Plan.
- Email comments to firstname.lastname@example.org; please include Housing Action Plan in the subject line.
- City Council action on the final Housing Action Plan is anticipated at their Auguste 24 meeting.
Please see below for documents, background, and information on the development of the HAP.
The City of Puyallup is creating a Housing Action Plan (HAP) to identify strategies, actions, and policy tools to create enough housing options to meet community needs. Puyallup received a grant from the Washington State Department of Commerce to develop this HAP to address current and future housing needs, which will be complete by mid-2021.
A Housing Action Plan is a policy document with a set of concrete steps for the City to support and encourage new housing production that meets local housing needs. The HAP uses an equity lens to develop clear, actionable strategies to meet current and future housing needs.
Puyallup’s Housing Action Plan will:
- Be an actionable policy document that outlines how to meet all of Puyallup’s housing needs.
- Be based on data and analysis grounded in an inclusive and robust public process.
- Provide a comprehensive road map to implement cohesive, effective, and feasible housing strategies tailored to the Puyallup community.
- Be tailored to the housing needs of the Puyallup community to ensure safe, healthy, and affordable housing for all.
To learn more about Puyallup’s Housing Action Plan project, community demographics, and information from the recently completed Housing Needs Assessment, watch these narrated presentations.
The Puyallup community is made up of residents with a wide range of needs and challenges. The City wants to hear from the community throughout the development of the HAP so that the housing strategies identified reflect all residents’ priorities and needs.
Public outreach and engagement are a critical part of developing the Housing Action Plan and will be included throughout all phases of the plan work. However, the City is utilizing alternative public engagement methods that comply with Governor Jay Inslee’s “Stay Home, Stay Healthy” order. Public outreach for this project will rely on virtual meetings, online forums, and this webpage, including the following:
- Sign up to receive email communications about this project.
- Check back here for project updates and additional opportunities for engagement
The Department of Commerce requires the HAP to be adopted in June 2021. The timeline below identifies project milestones. The final Plan will detail next steps for implementation so the HAP’s goals can be fully realized.
|Summer/Fall 2020|| Development of a Housing Needs Assessment to look at Puyallup’s community demographics and housing needs.|
Understanding our current housing policies and regulations.
Identifying strategies and policy options to meet the housing needs identified.
|Public review of a draft Housing Action Plan.|